|Overall size||x cm ( x in)|
|Artwork||x cm ( x in)|
cm left/right (in)
|Frame face||2cm (0.79in)|
We use a 280gsm fine art paper and premium branded inks to create the perfect reproduction.
Our expertise and use of high-quality materials means that our print colours are independently verified to last between 100 and 200 years.
Read more about our fine art prints.
Manufactured in the UK
All products are created in our Surrey print factory in the UK, and we are the trusted printing partner of many high profile and respected art galleries and museums.
We are proud to have produced over 1 million prints for hundreds of thousands of customers.
Product images of Elisabeth Furnace, Bilston Steelworks, 1970
Product details Elisabeth Furnace, Bilston Steelworks, 1970
Elisabeth Furnace, Bilston Steelworks, 1970
Bilston Steel Works was situated at Spring Vale, Bilston. The opening of the Birmingham to Wolverhampton Canal in 1770 saw an increase in industrial activity in the area, and by 1780 the first blast furnaces were in use. In 1866 the Hickman family acquired the works then known as the Springvale Furnaces Ltd. In 1897 the Springvale Furnaces and the Staffordshire Steel & Ingot Iron Co. amalgamated to become Alfred Hickman Ltd. In 1920, the works were sold to Stewarts & Lloyds Ltd. In 1954 a new blast furnace called 'Elisabeth' was lit, replacing three smaller blast furnaces. Elisabeth alone produced 275,000 tons of steel a year. The furnace was named 'Elisabeth' after the daughter of the chairman of Stewarts & Lloyds Ltd. In 1967 the British steel industry was nationalised. The Iron and Steel Act brought into public ownership about 90% of British steelmaking to form the British Steel Corporation (BSC). Stewarts and Lloyds became part of BSC in July 1968. By the late 1970s the works had become uncompetitive and expensive to run. On 12th April 1979 the last steel billet was cast at Bilston ending more than 200 years of iron and steel production at the site. Eighteen months later, on 5th October 1980, Elisabeth was demolished.
- Image ref: BC_GB149_P_3280
- Wolverhampton Arts and Heritage