We use a 280gsm fine art paper and premium branded inks to create the perfect reproduction.
Read more about our fine art prints.
Manufactured in the UK
We are proud to have produced over 1 million prints for hundreds of thousands of customers.
Product images of The interior of the Theatre of the Islington Literary and Scientific Institution
Product details The interior of the Theatre of the Islington Literary and Scientific Institution
The interior of the Theatre of the Islington Literary and Scientific Institution
This engraving shows the interior of the horseshoe-shaped lecture theatre of the Islington Literary & Scientific Institution. There is no lecture in progress, but there are a number of men, women and children in several groups, apparently there as sight-seers. The Islington Literary and Scientific Institution were built in 1837 by the local Literary and Scientific Society. When this was wound up in 1872, the building was sold in to the Wellington Club to be used as a music hall. In 1904 it was taken over by the Salvation Army, and from 1956 to 1971 was the factory and showroom for Becks Carnival Novelties. The building was Grade II listed in 1980 when it was opened as the Almeida Theatre. The inscription indicates that the engraving was 'Presented to Chas. Woodward Esq. F.R.S. President. The Vice President and Committee, by their obdt. servt. C.S. Tosswill.' Little is known about Charles Woodward (1789-1877), but his election certificate to the Royal Society (1841) records his profession as 'agent' and states that he had improved apparatus and published several scientific papers.
Tosswill & Co.
Original size: 196 mm x 233 mm
- Image ref: PT3463
- National Maritime Museum